Date:      Thu, 18 Feb 1999 19:07:47 -0500 (EST)
From:      David Hummel <dnh@darius.pce.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Benchmarking web performance: an advocacy issue

Hi all,

I have an opportunity to compare Solaris 2.6 with Netscape Enterprise
Server to FreeBSD 3.1 with Apache1.3/php on the same hardware (Dell Intel
Celeron 350 dual scsi, 128ram).

The results of my comparison will be presented to the boss-types at my
company, and I see the potential for an article, hence the advocacy issue.
My comparison will include installation/configuration issues, but the most
important aspect is performance. I would like to get concrete results on
their performance as web/real audio servers.

This leads to my question: what benchmark methods are considered to be at
least somewhat useful/accurate?

Any other suggestions/comments?

Thanks,
Dave