Date:      Sun, 22 Nov 1998 16:23:53 -0800 (PST)
From:      Bryce Newall <data@dreamhaven.net>
To:        Chris Martino <chrismar@peanut.readington.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, leigh@quixotic.org
Subject:   Re: slow connection

On Sun, 22 Nov 1998, Chris Martino wrote:

> Maybe yer NIC is going bad?

Actually, it wasn't that -- but you'd never believe what the problem
turned out to be.  Here's what happened:

First, I tried switching things around so that instead of my cable modem
being on vx0 and my internal network being on vx1, it was the other way
around.  Once I did that and pointed my DHCP client at vx1, outbound
connections were nice and quick.  However, then the local network on vx0
was slow, so I figured you were right, my vx0 NIC was bad.

I shut down the machine and rebooted into DOS, so I could check the
3c59xcfg program to see if any setting had gotten screwed up.  When I ran
3c59xcfg, though, it told me my BIOS settings were incorrect.  I rebooted
again, and this time watched very closely when it showed me the IRQs that
my various boards were using.  One NIC came up on IRQ 9, my video card
came up on 11, the SCSI controller on 12, and the other NIC came up as
"NA".  That looked very wrong, so I went into the BIOS and started playing
a bit.  I had reserved IRQ 10 for my sound card, but the others were
available.  However, I found it odd that my video card was using an IRQ.
So, I opened up the machine and started swapping things around.  Turns out
that of my 5 PCI slots, the bottom one wasn't tied to an IRQ.  So, I put
the video card there, then the 2 NICs, then left the SCSI card where it
was.  (Basically, I just moved the video card to the bottom and shuffled
the 2 NICs up a slot.  I could've just left one NIC where it was, but then
when my DHCP client came back up, it would've given me a different IP,
since a different card would've been vx0.)  Turned the machine back on,
and then things looked ok -- NICs were IRQ 9 and 11, SCSI card was 12, and
video card was NA.

Presto!  The machine booted back up, and now my interfaces are both fast,
as they should be.  I'm surprised I never noticed that before, although I
normally try not to reboot my machine unless I have to :).  Anyhow, all
seems to be well, now, and thanks to Chris for your suggestion.  Anyone
care to speculate as to why this particular problem would cause my network
to be slow, and not to just not work altogether?