Date:      Sun, 24 Jan 1999 10:45:02 -0600 (CST)
From:      Avalon Books <avalon@advicom.net>
To:        Hellmuth Michaelis <hm@kts.org>
Cc:        wam@sa.fedex.com, freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I4B support for US ISDN?

On Sun, 24 Jan 1999, Hellmuth Michaelis wrote:

> Passive ISDN cards are dirt cheap over here, no second device is needed
> which consumes (more) power (than just a passive ISDN card in your box)
> and ISDN is a bit more than just doing IP over it here, something which
> is not possible at that extent with a TA or a router. And a passive ISDN
> card is _much_ more flexible than a router or TA ever could be: its much
> better suited to serve my play instinct ;-)

   More flexible? Hm... I would be interested in hearing a detailed
explanation for that. It will go nicely with my up-coming research on
european ISDN hardware (its nice to have access to a manufacturer's lab
resources). I switched over my entire operation to ISDN and I now have
completely seamless voice/data integration. Seems pretty flexible to me.

> Hopefully - and the code is already there - i4b will run with the existing
> PPP code, although i don't see the need: bonding two B-channels together
> does not make much sense here.

   Why not? Again, a detailed explanation would be helpful, though I
suspect I already know the answer--ISDN is extremely expensive in the
particular state I reside in, and I use bonding only for really large data
transfers. The costs of using ISDN for voice communications are bad
enough without intentionally makeing it worse for myself.

> On the other hand, from time to time someone from the US pops up, expresses
> interest in ISDN, tells he is doing something, disappears silently and was
> never heard again after some time; so what we are currently discussing, are
> we - as the european counterparts - discussing the third, fourth or even
> the fifth time.

   Well, that would explain it. I would probably feel the same way under
similar circumstances. My apoligies if I've ruffled any feathers.

--R. Pelletier
Sys Admin, House Galiagante
We are a Micro$oft-free site