Date:      Mon, 10 Jun 1996 11:43:16 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        DARREND@novell.com (Darren Davis)
Cc:        DARREND@novell.com, john@ulantris.infinop.com, questions@FreeBSD.org, stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: mail overload. - Reply

> There are news groups or is a newsgroup.  My personal feeling is news takes
> too long to propagate.  I get much better response to the mailing lists--I'm
> more apt to read a mailing list than a news group.  If I don't think the
> subject applies I delete the messages w/o reading it.

> that mirror the maillists.  I do the same thing, deleting messages by subject.
>  Unfortunately, I still have to do them one at a time.  I just can't say
> delete all the messages with a given subject.  I guess this is not viewed
> as an email like thing, but more like a news thing.   This still takes
> up alot of time.

It is fairly easy to set up a two stage filter with "procmail" (or elm's
"filter" program, which seems to be in disrepute).

You can use that to set up an awk script that greps subject/source/author
and then basically do a "kill-file" by awking your kill list into an
input filter for procmail/filter.

If you are stuck with GroupWise, with no hope, then it's possible to
gateway the lists to local news groups (there are several people who
have said they were doing this at one time or another on the -hackers
list).

To do this, you will have to set up a subscribed list gateway on the
UNIX system acting as a news server.  The lists get mailed there and
copied to the news groups by the gateway.

Be sure and implement:		Not:

 list   news			list   news
    |   |			   |\ /|
    v   v			   | X |
    O   O			   |/ \|
    |\ /|			   vv vv
    | X |			   O   O
    |/ \|			   |   |
    vv vv			   v   v
    O   O			news   list
    |   |
    v   v
 news   list

To avoid loops, if you gateway local postings back to the mailing lists.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.