Date:      Fri, 06 Jun 2014 16:33:41 +0200
From:      John Marino <freebsd.contact@marino.st>
To:        Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists@tx.rr.com>, marino@freebsd.org,  Alfred Perlstein <alfred@freebsd.org>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Who was the mental genius

On 6/6/2014 16:19, Paul Schmehl wrote:
> --On June 6, 2014 at 8:35:06 AM +0200 John Marino
> I have no idea why you've decided to assume the role of preacher and
> tell me what to do, but I can assure you that you are completely
> ignorant of the circumstances behind my complaints.  They have
> absolutely nothing to do with my professional position.

That doesn't excuse your first post or any after it.

> Regarding your comment about EOL, one thing has been almost constant
> throughout my professional career.  When a system goes EOL it isn't
> deliberately broken by the vendor.  The system will happily hum along
> and function for years after EOL without problems.  Breaking something
> as vital as the ports system without proper warning is not a way to win
> converts to your platform or to retain those who have used it for a long
> time.

The situation already been clearly explained to you.  EOL has a clear
definition.

> Again.  I think FreeBSD is a great OS.  It's the only Unix platform I
> use (and I've tried them all, trust me.)  It saddens me to see it losing
> market share because of tone deaf development processes that ignore the
> end user. If I didn't give a shit, I wouldn't have complained.

Yes, if indeed it is losing market share, that is why.

> Your reference to Microsoft is laughable.  I haven't done support or
> admin work on a Windows platform in more than sixteen years.

Whoosh.

> As for your idiotic advice, not everyone in the world has the
> wherewithal to "install some mirrors in your house", but my
> recommendation to you would be to look in the ones at your house before
> you ignorantly criticize others.

Said the guy titling his post, "Who is the mental genius?"

It was lost on you, so again more clearly: Any issue you suffered as a
result of intentionally or negligently ignoring EOL is your own fault,
so stop blaming others.

Since I am not blaming others for my failings, why do I need to install
mirrors in my house?  Another nonsense gem from Paul Schmehl.

John