Date:      Thu, 10 Sep 1998 17:33:41 -0700
From:      Brian Behlendorf <brian@hyperreal.org>
To:        andrew@squiz.co.nz
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: terminal escape exploit (was Re: cat exploit)

At 09:19 AM 9/11/98 +1200, Andrew McNaughton wrote:
>On Thu, 10 Sep 1998, Studded wrote:
>
>> 	It seems to me that a lot of people missed the point of one of the
>> warnings that someone else posted in response actually.  Don't use cat
>> routinely to view files. Use more, or better yet less since less doesn't
>> view binary files by default.
>
>It's not just cat that you've got to worry about.  tail is another one.
>How many people routinely use 'tail -f' to monitor log info that includes
>potentially tainted content.

Yeah, especially when trying to debug a problem that requires root.  I do
this.

>The problem is not cat.  It's xterm and other similar terminal programs.

I agree.  Even if the old-timers around here are saying "it's always been
like that, just don't do it and it'll be all OK", I still see this as a
design flaw, and would like to believe that "running arbitrary commands"
can be prevented without preventing all the legitimate uses for escape
sequences.

	Brian