Date:      Wed, 20 May 1998 21:07:12 +0200
From:      Gary Jennejohn <garyj@peedub.muc.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /etc/rc cleaning of /var/run

Doug White writes:
>On Sun, 17 May 1998, Jason Nordwick wrote:
>
>> The line that cleans out /var/run is:
>> rm -f /var/run/*
>>
>> However, Xemacs makes a directory in /var/run, so it
>> is not cleaned out properly on startup... Why it is
>> not:
>> rm -rf /var/run/*
>
>We had an argument about that last year and I think it's intentially run
>without the -rf option specifically to preserve the xemacs/ directory.

from an old mail (21 April) from Mark Murray:
>Gary Jennejohn wrote:
>> >I like the concept of recursively cleaning /var/run/*, and having
>> >something for each package in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/<package> to recreate
>> >anything that is needed.
>> >

>> I like this idea too. Who's gonna change /etc/rc ? I'll fix up xemacs{,20}.
>
>I'm gonna write it up as a FreeBSD Standard (tm). Soon after, I'll
>start committing. I'd be grateful for the support and the supporting
>commits :-). Eivind Ecklund (sp?) is on my side to, so far.
>
>Gimme 2 days...

I've actually implemented and tested a mod to the xemacs port to do this. I
could easily commit it, but I've sort of been waiting for Mark to carry
out his threat :) I haven't seen any commit go by for this...

---
Gary Jennejohn
Home - garyj@muc.de
Work - garyj@fkr.dec.com