Date:      Thu, 5 Aug 1999 19:47:12 -0500
From:      "Geocrawler.com" <archiver@db.geocrawler.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ES1371 - SB 64 PCI

This message was sent from Geocrawler.com by "John " <john@freebsdbox.com>
Be sure to reply to that address.

I know ya'll are probably tired of hearing quesitons about the SoundBlaster cards, but for some reason, good answers on the question of the ES1371  and FreeBSD are not availible.

Basically, I've got a SoundBlaster 16 (SB 64 PCI card - Esoniq 1371 chipset). I was running 3.2-RELEASE at the time i purhased this card (Yes, i know, ignorant for me not to check on things like compatibility :-P ). Searching through the mailing lists I read several posts about this card. One of which suggested that all -current's supported the 1371. So...I CVSup'd to 4.0-CURRENT, somehow thinking that maybe configuration for this device would be in LINT? Not being there, I went back to the mailing list, searching and finding a patch (ftp://ftp.thebarn.com/outgoing/es1371.patch).
So, I downloaded the patch, into /usr/src/sys/pci/ then performing a "patch es1370.c es1371.patch", then recompiled my kernel with "pcm0" and "pnp0" as well as (obviously) "pci0".
I then booted the new kernel, recieving the same message i had...
pci0: unknown card DST1371 (vendor=0x1274, dev=0x1371)

Now, I am not familliar with the process of patching, perhaps i did not apply the patch correctly?? There is no documentation to be found on this patch, just suggestions from those on the FreeBSD mailing list archives.

If anyone could help me out here I would be forever greatful, again I am running FreeBSD 4.0-CURRENT, and as well, the line i placed in my kernel config file was
device pcm0 at isa? port? irq 11 drq 5 flags 0x0
and yes, the card is at irq 11, and pnp0 as well as pci0 are configured in my kernel...I also performed a "sh MAKEDEV snd1" in /dev and still nothing. However even if i did not make the device entry correctly in /dev, that wouldn't cause the kernel to not recognise the card would it?

I'm sorry for the long post, but I hope someone can help me?

John
john@freebsdbox.com

Geocrawler.com - The Knowledge Archive