Date:      Wed, 26 Nov 1997 13:59:07 +0000
From:      Mark <mark.wild@cableinet.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IPX router problems

In message <199711251951.VAA11667@zibbi.mikom.csir.co.za> you wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
> You don't say which version of Netware you are using, but I would guess
> that it is 3.0 or later. If so they have an internal network number
> which should also show up in the netstat -r report. Why do you say
> that you receive RIP/SAP packets?
>
> One problem might be because the FreeBSD IPX code only supports
> Ethernet_II framing, which is not the default for Netware servers.
> The default for Netware 3.x is 802.3 framing and I think for v4.x
> it is 802.2SNAP, but I'm not 100% sure. The easiest if you only
> have W95 machines will be to change the server to use Ethernet_II
> framing. (The default 95 setup will sense that automatically.) If
> you have older Win3.X machines and diskless machines it won't be
> that easy. If you can't do Ethernet_II framing, I do have a patch
> to enable 802.3 framing on the FreeBSD box.
>
> John

I was incorrectly told that Ethernet II was being used, but infact it's
802.3 (Netware 3.12). I also have the requirement of forwarding IP
packets across the two interfaces and I gather from your previous
postings on this subject that it's not currently possible to have
two frame types on the same interface. Is this still the case?
Unfortunately there's no chance of moving to Eth. II.

Many thanks,

Mark.