Date:      Sat, 23 Jan 1999 11:04:15 -0800 (PST)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kvm question

Mike Smith writes:
> Yes, there's a desire to see this fixed; it requires a significant
> rewrite of the sysctl stuff unfortunately.  Mark Murray was working on
> this but probably as a 4.x feature; if you have something simpler you
> feel up to contributing in the short term you'd be very popular.

Peter pointed out that having the sysctl's as symbols was a nice
advantage of the current system. How important is this?

If we were willing to give this up, then the SYSCTL() macro could
just expand to a SYSINIT() that called sysctl_add_subtree() (or
whatever you want to call it) upon loading.

This sysctl_add_subtree() would maintain the sysctl tree... it would
allow new subtrees and nodes to be added when new KLD's were loaded.
It could also subtree support removal when the KLD goes away. Seems
pretty straightforward, but I'm probably missing something.

I don't think any user-land programs would have to change.

-Archie