Date:      Sun, 29 Sep 2002 11:01:57 +0200
From:      Alex <freebsd@akruijff.dds.nl>
To:        Patrick Klee <misterp@sbcglobal.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New to BSD.  Need help with install.

Sunday, September 29, 2002, 6:51:00 AM, you wrote:

Dear Patrick,

PK> On Saturday, September 28, 2002, at 11:49 PM, Patrick Klee wrote:

>> Hi,
>> I have been lurking on this list for quite some time.
>> I have been a happy Linux user since Red Hat 4.2, however a lot of
>> people have convinced me to switch.  As of right now, I am on my iMac
>> sending email, while I am installing FreeBSD 4.7 RC2.

RC stands for Release Candidate. There can be some problems with it
since its not jet approved. Something like 5 RC can come across
before a final release. The latest release is 4.6.2.

>> I have red the manual, but I have had problems installing 5.0

5.0 is still alpha (or beta) software.

>> snapshots.  Something with the INDEX file missing so I had to try and
>> reinstall again.
>> Can someone give some pointers on making this run as smooth and
>> painless as possible? :-)
>> One more thing.  A friend of mine got his GeForce4 Ti 4600 to work
>> before the NVIdia drivers came out.  I have a 4200, and so not only am
>> I scared about the install, but I don't want to have to compile and
>> tweak everything like Debian or Red Hat and it still doesn't work.

FreeBSD comes right off the shell for most cases. Editing the kernel
file and compile everything gives you a smaller kernel and more
specific code for your processor, but isn't necessary.

>> ALL pointers appriciated.  Please be gentle, I have NEVER touched BSD.
>>  :-)

I guess my footnote would be right for you.

--
Best regards,
Alex

The FreeBSD handbook