Date:      Wed, 28 Mar 2001 17:59:35 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Ron Shafran <ron@hypermax.net.au>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Where does Boot Easy live?

Ron Shafran <ron@hypermax.net.au> types:
> Dear all,
>
> Not long ago I installed FreeBSD 4.1 (since updated to 4.2-Stable) on
> drive 1 (not drive 0) of my two drive SCSI system. Drive 0 had winXX on
> it at the time.
>
> During the course of the install I elected to use Boot Easy, which has
> been working successfully. But I don't know if it lives on drive 1 or
> drive 0.
>
> I now have to replace and reinstall the winXX OS on drive 0 and am
> concerned doing so will clobber my Boot Easy/ability to boot FreeBSD.
>
> Can anyone tell me how to find out where Boot Easy lives, how to
> reinstall or reactivate it if I can't access my FreeBSD drive, or if I'm
> worrying for no good reason.

You're installing MS software - I'd say that's good reason to worry.

SCSI complicates things a bit. Your SCSI BIOS may allow you to set the
unit number to boot from, in which case it points at the drive that
booteasy lives on. If that's drive 1, you win. Set your SCSI bios to
boot from drive 0 and install winXX on as normal. After that's done,
set the BIOS boot back to drive 1, and everything should be
copacetic. If you can set the SCSI boot drive and it's set to drive 0,
you might want to use boot0cfg to install booteasy on drive 1, verify
that you can boot from drive 1, then proceed as above. If it's
hardwired to drive 0, you'll have to reinstall booteasy on drive 0
after you install WinXX. Personally, I'd boot the fixit cdrom and do
it that way, but there have heen instructions for using the isntaller
to do it on the list recently.

	<mike