Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 2002 14:21:10 +0100 (BST)
From:      Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
To:        Paul Everlund <tdv94ped@cs.umu.se>
Cc:        Joe & Fhe Barbish <barbish@a1poweruser.com>, FBSDQ <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Periodic mails

On Tue, 25 Jun 2002, Paul Everlund wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Jun 2002, Jan Grant wrote:
>
> ----------> Thanks for your reply!
>
> > On Tue, 25 Jun 2002, Joe & Fhe Barbish wrote:
> >
> > > The connection attempt message you see in your /var/log/messages is
> > > generated by the log-in-vain rc.conf option because you do not have
> > > software listening on port 25 the pop3 server front door.
> > > Do you have qpopper installed?
> >
> > Eh? Port 25 is for SMTP, not POP.
> >
> > > Do nslookup 192.168.0.5 to see what that ip address is.
> >
> > The address given is a nonrouable local address; potentially the
> > address attached to an internal NIC.
>
> Yep, but my periodic mail should be send to localhost, so the address
> do not have to be routable. On the other hand it is strange it tries
> to send the mail via my firewall computer.
>
> > There are now four (count 'em!) sendmail switches that can be used in
> > /etc/rc.conf - see your updated /etc/default/rc.conf for details. This
> > was discussed in freebsd-stable when the changeover happened, so you may
> > find more information there. Anyhoo, they are:
>
> Am not subscribed to freebsd-stable. It's hard to just keep up with
> freebsd-questions. :-)
>
> > sendmail_enable="YES"   # Run the sendmail inbound daemon (YES/NO/NONE).
> >                         # If NONE, don't start any sendmail processes.
> > sendmail_submit_enable="YES"    # Start a localhost-only MTA for mail
> >                                   submission
> > sendmail_outbound_enable="YES"  # Dequeue stuck mail (YES/NO).
> > sendmail_msp_queue_enable="YES" # Dequeue stuck clientmqueue mail (YES/NO).
> >
> > You probably want NO, YES, YES, YES, respectively.
>
> This setup, does it permit mails only from and to the localhost?
> I want my computer to be totally closed to the outside when it
> comes to mail. Only internal mail on the same machine should be
> allowed.

In which case, NO, YES, NO, YES. And then the answer to your question is
(pretty closely) yes. Only localhost can originate mail; you should
still be able to target mail to an offsite address; you need to fiddle
with sendmail if you want to turn that facility off.

(ECHOY GRUNTING) (EERIE WHISPERS) aren't subtitles great?