Date:      Tue, 20 Nov 2001 14:48:26 -0800
From:      Alex Obradovic <aobradovic@ballantyneinc.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: home pc use

Sure. I would go  /var/db/pkg directory and uninstall all kde
apps. In the past I have done the following (make sure you *really*
want to do this)

pkg_delete -f kde*

Then cvsup and get the latest updates to the ports (if your ports are
messed up, then delete /ports/x11 and let cvsup rebuild them)

Then just cd into kde2 directory in your ports and do make and make
install.

Also I had issues in the past with KDE 1 apps. Sometimes when
installing KDE 1 apps, they will install KDE1 as a dependency, and that
may affect your KDE2 system. I stay away from KDE1 apps. Another
issue can be with libpng - I think they switched to the new version
recently, so check if you are getting libpng errors.

This will not take muck of your time as the compiling can go
unattended. This run for about 2 hours on my system, but it required
only 15 minutes of my time to do the above commands.

Alex