Date:      Sat, 18 Dec 1999 23:08:33 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
To:        dillon@apollo.backplane.com (Matthew Dillon)
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Correction to /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/LINT for D-Link DFE-530TX+

Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, Matthew Dillon
had to walk into mine and say:

>     The D-Link DFE-530TX+ uses the 'rl' driver, not the 'vr' driver.  I
>     don't know if there's a DFE-530TX (without the '+') so I'm leaving the
>     entry for that in the 'vr' driver notes intact.

Both exist. The DFE-530TX is most definitely a VIA Rhine card and needs
the vr driver. I have one. I only recently learned of the existence of the
DFE-530TX+, which uses the RealTek 8139 and needs the rl driver.

Yes, it's dumb to change the whole card design and do nothing to update
the model number except stick a "+" on the end, but that's how it goes.
D-Link also has a habit of selling certain cards only some markets.
For example, there apparently also exists a DFE-540TX card that uses a
Macronix chip, however it was never sold in the U.S., only in Asia.

-Bill