Date:      Mon, 2 Apr 2001 11:25:41 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Blaz Zupan <blaz@amis.net>
To:        Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
Cc:        Ilya Martynov <m_ilya@agava.com>, Justin Stanford <jus@security.za.net>, <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: PR's foating in limbo for no apparent reason

> I wonder if this could be related to difference in the way jed and vi
> modify files; ISTR some discussion and somebody stating that jed created
> a new file and then rename(2)'d it to the old one, while vi modified
> the old file directly, or vice versa.  Maybe there are programs that
> open a file, then fstat() it periodically to see if something has changed;
> this will fail if the rename method is used - the old file shall seem
> unchanged, albeit disappeared.

Yes, in fact I'm almost certain this is the reason why "vipw" sometimes has
problems with jed. But it does not explain why PR's would be misfiled because
of this - they would either be empty so send-pr would not send them.

Blaz Zupan,  Medinet d.o.o, Linhartova 21, 2000 Maribor, Slovenia
E-mail: blaz@amis.net, Tel: +386-2-320-6320, Fax: +386-2-320-6325