Date:      Fri, 9 May 2003 11:50:19 -0400
From:      "Timothy R. Geier" <tgeier@acsmail.com>
To:        Peter Elsner <peter@servplex.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hacked?

--Boundary-02=_G58u+bZCGK47jWt

On Friday 09 May 2003 10:21, Borja Marcos wrote:
> On Friday, May 9, 2003, at 16:07 Europe/Madrid, Peter Elsner wrote:
> > open("/dev/fd/.99/.ttyf00",0x0,0666)             =3D 3 (0x3)
>
> 	Look at this. This is a rootkit. What is this file? :-) Probably the
> typical rootkit config file.
>
> 	The "strings" command was good at this, but I have seen lately some
> rootkits replacing the strings command. Truss seems to be safer, at
> least for now.
>
> > I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking at... Do you see anything out of
> > the ordinary?
>
> 	Yes, something like that :-)
>
> 	If you "truss" commands like netstat, ps, etc, I am sure you will find
> similar operations. Look for open system calls with weird filenames or
> files in weird places, like above.
>

> 	Borja.

g"

To add a few more thoughts to this, the most likely places for rootkit=20
configurations and possibly executables are hidden directories under /tmp,=
=20
/dev/, and /var/tmp.  Of course, these are not the only possible places, bu=
t=20
they are the most popular. =20

Also, the use of nmap or another port scanner from a remote machine can=20
discover if the rootkit has left any backdoor ports open.  Since you've=20
restored netstat, though, "netstat -l" should work just as well.  After=20
determining if there are any backdoors, I would recommend removing the=20
compromised machine from any network(s) it is on and then performing a=20
detailed analysis, restoration, and hardening.  An article on this process=
=20
can be found at http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1692.

=2D-=20
Timothy R. Geier, Systems Administrator