Date:      Wed, 5 Jun 2002 18:31:06 -0400
From:      "Morse, Richard E." <REMORSE@PARTNERS.ORG>
To:        "'sroberts@dsl.pipex.com'" <sroberts@dsl.pipex.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Need to find explanation for maillog messages

S. Roberts [mailto:sroberts@dsl.pipex.com] wrote:

> Running mailq returns nothing, I'm afrard:
>
> ~ $ mailq
> /var/spool/mqueue is empty
> 		Total requests: 0
> ~ $

Well, in this case, the messages left your queue.  This probably means that
your computer tried to resend the message (which is probably what the
'deferred' referred to), and succeded.  If you take the ID of the message
(that weird string like g4UNF...), and search the log for all instances of
it, do you find one where the message actually got sent?

> mail -v & sendmail -v works, and corresponding messages like the one
> in my post appear as a result.

do you get an actual error from these commands?  Or just the errors in the
log file?

Are you sending mail through a mail host -- that is, is your computer set up
to directly contact the smtp hosts of the receiving server, or do you send
your messages to another machine to actually send the message?

Ricky