Date:      Wed, 24 Feb 1999 23:32:45 -0600
From:      Jon Hamilton <hamilton@pobox.com>
To:        Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>
Cc:        Johnny Matthews <jmatthew@greenville.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: your mail

In message <XFMail.990224174920.asmodai@wxs.nl>, Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai wrote:
} On 23-Feb-99 Johnny Matthews wrote:
} > How can I restrict my users from changing their finger information?
}
} Only thing could be to chmod the .plan file to a user that they cannot su
} to (if they can su at all).
}
} Because if the file remains chmod to their UID then they can chmod it back
} to rwx------ themselves and thus edit it.

Won't do any good unless the user doesn't own their own home directory.
Regardless of the owner of the file, if the user can write to the
directory which contains it, he can delete the file (and then recreate
it with whatever contents he likes).

I don't think that's the question that was asked anyway; it sounds more
like the original poster wanted to know how to disable chfn.  The answer
is not as straightforward as it might seem; disabling /usr/bin/chfn will
get you only part way there, because all the ch* binaries (chsh, chfn,
chpass, ypch*) are really the same binary, and behave differently depending
on argv[0].  If you remove /usr/bin/chfn but leave /usr/bin/chsh, the
user can do this:

$ cd /tmp
$ ln -s /usr/bin/chsh chfn
$ ./chfn