Date:      Sat, 22 Jul 2000 04:10:51 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        "Lawrence Cotnam Jr." <larry@pkunk.net>
Cc:        sos@freebsd.org, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Legacy Device Support (Was RE: No help...)

On Sat, 22 Jul 2000, Lawrence Cotnam Jr. wrote:
> I don't have all the answers.  I'm just a frustrated user with legacy
> hardware.  In the past, that frustration has been with hardware that
> drivers existed for, then future releases discontinued support for
> such hardware. I'm just confused and don't understand exactly why code
> that was functional, usable, was later removed from the distributions.

Mostly because the system evolves and old broken infrastructure is
replaced with new, hopefully less broken infrastructure.  This is the case
with the CAM changes and the newbus changes.  While we have not really
lost any drivers to newbus (yet), CAM let us get a good look at how legacy
support really works.  Only those drivers with a dedicated developer
making use of the hardware can be expected to survive massive
infrastructure changes.

> But this frustration is a direct result of just plain being ignored.

# grep -i maintainer /sys/dev/ep/*
/sys/dev/ep/if_ep.c: * MAINTAINER: Matthew N. Dodd <winter@jurai.net>

I'm curious why you didn't email me or file a bug report?  I think you
just choose to ignore the normal channels of support.  While I do make an
attempt to keep up on with all the list traffic, sometimes I miss things.

I'm not sure what to tell you about your problem other than that my
testing of the driver with my hardware didn't reveal the behavior you
observed.  You should really have attempted a better analysis of the fault
using ttcp or something as your description of your problem was rather
vague.

> First, the 3COM 3C509 driver seems to have a problem.  What?  I don't
> know. I have symptoms and no answers.  Running MTU 1500 on my LAN
> results in stalling.. the server periodically chokes for a few moments
> every few moments, during sustained data transfer.  This seems to much
> more strongly affect transmission, than reception.

I recall something similar to this that I experienced with a PCCARD and
the 'ep' driver.  I'm pretty sure that this was fixed at some point or
another (I may be misremembering things here though.)

> That's the information I have.  If there's ways I can provide more,
> please advise and I'll take the necessary steps to collect additional
> diagnostic data.

- 'dmesg' or contents of /var/run/dmesg.boot
- 'uname -a'
- 'netstat -m' after you start observing the problem with an MTU of 1500.

> The 3C515 has zero support.  There is no driver.

Somehow I doubt that there will ever be one.  100baseTX ISA cards don't
seem to be in great demand.

Not sure what to tell you about your SiS problem but there is a way of
manually disabling DMA mode from the loader that you might try
(hw.atamodes IIRC)

--
| Matthew N. Dodd  | '78 Datsun 280Z | '75 Volvo 164E | FreeBSD/NetBSD  |
| winter@jurai.net |       2 x '84 Volvo 245DL        | ix86,sparc,pmax |