Date:      Wed, 02 Oct 2002 23:38:27 -0700
From:      "Firsto Lasto" <firstolasto@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   PRNG not seeded - error in non-root ssh inside 4.6.2 jails...

Hello,

I have found that if you create a jail in FreeBSD 4.6.2, and then log into
that jail ... if you are root you can scp and ssh just fine.  However if you
are not root and you attempt to ssh or scp, you get this error:

PRNG is not seeded

A few details - first, I created my jail by simply using the dump command to
dump my / filesystem, and then restoring that inside the jail.  Not elegant,
but it works - so the jail in question has a full /dev and everything.

Second, I used the exact same method in 4.6.1 and did not have problems.

I saw a usenet post that recommended solving the problem with this:

"chmod a+r /dev/*rand*"

however I tried that, and now when I try to ssh or scp from a non root user
inside the jail, I get:

"Host key verification failed"

Does anyone know why this happens, why it didn't happen prior to 4.6.2, and
how I can fix it ?

thanks!