Date:      Thu, 10 Jun 1999 12:47:35 +0200
From:      Ladavac Marino <mladavac@metropolitan.at>
To:        "'jerome@webquest.com'" <jerome@webquest.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: kernel error

	[ML]  The kernel keeps a "table" of open file descriptors
because it needs to know from which disk area or network socket the
bytes are coming from or going to.
	"Table", because it is a hashed list and it can be increased on
runtime--it is limited so that the runaway processes would not eat too
much kernel memory.

	The mechanism for in/decreasing the size of the "table" is
sysctl.  The variable which has to be altered is kern.maxfiles and/or
kern.maxfileperproc (IIRC--you can get the correct names with sysctl -a
| grep file).

	man sysctl(8)

	/Marino