Date:      19 Dec 2000 21:35:24 -0800
From:      Ken McGlothlen <mcglk@artlogix.com>
To:        <ldmservices@charter.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Why do you support Yahoo!

"Debbie Machado" <ldmservices@charter.net> writes:

| I noticed Yahoo has you listed as one of their business supporters. I stopped
| using Yahoo aggressively after I realized they support all religions except
| Christianity. Just try to find a Christmas card about Christ amongst all the
| other religious cards they freely give users access to on their main page for
| "Christmas".  Since Yahoo refuses to acknowledge Christmas as an American
| Religious Holiday, like the other ones they list, I figured this year I would
| sent out a Christmas card from their service to all my family, friends,
| business associates, clients, & online news media simply explaining what I've
| observed and how it makes me feel.  I also will list all the sponsors,
| advertisers, & partners as supporters.  You don't need to respond to me. YOU
| NEED TO REACT TO THEM.  In Him -Debbie

Debbie, Debbie, Debbie.

First off, I don't speak for FreeBSD.  FreeBSD simply produces an operating
system---one good enough that Yahoo uses it.  You might just as well say that
Microsoft "supports" Yahoo because there are Windows machines at Yahoo.
Instead of doing anything useful, you did manage to email several thousand
volunteers who provide a free support service for FreeBSD users.  You didn't
impact Yahoo at all---instead, you did manage to annoy a bunch of people.

Second, as an American and a Christian, I find your expressed viewpoint acutely
embarrassing.  Perhaps you aren't aware that the United States has no official
religion.  Perhaps you believe it should.  Trust me when I say in either case
that such a naive view should embarrass you.  Yahoo has the right to do
whatever it wishes, and should not be forced (through pressure or legislation)
to cater to your particular wishes on a holiday season.  I trust that your
other efforts will be as effective and well-thought-out as your mailing the
FreeBSD questions list.

Third, I think you need to be worry about your own religious state foremost,
and not paying attention to Yahoo's.  You obviously need to read the Bible a
little more closely; I can think of several verses off the top of my head that
should have prompted some forethought on your part.  Unfortunately, you don't
seem to have read them.

Whatever the case, I wish you peace this holiday season.  But more to the
point, I wish you wouldn't rave about this on this particular mailing list
again.  Thanks.

							---Ken