Date:      26 Jan 2003 14:24:02 +1030
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I've just had a massive file system crash

On Sun, 2003-01-26 at 08:08, David Schultz wrote:
> Good.  I was referring to IDE in this case, because I assume
> that's what Greg's laptop uses.  The ATA driver flushes the cache
> when the device is closed, but I don't think that happens during
> shutdown.  It probably needs to register a shutdown hook like the
> SCSI driver.  Also, the driver is a bit optimistic about how long
> the flush will take; it times out after 5 seconds, whereas the ATA
> spec says a flush can take up to 30 seconds.

I am wondering if I experienced this problem with my -stable laptop..

I shut it down and then booted it up later to find fsck having a nice
good chew on the drive (deleting REAMS of files).

I stopped it and then ripped it out of the lappy and mounted it read
only to recover most of my files.

Lots of things in /etc got toasted, and it was rather annoying to
recover from :(

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum
GPG Fingerprint - 9A8C 569F 685A D928 5140  AE4B 319B 41F4 5D17 FDD5