Date:      Mon, 22 Apr 2002 21:52:28 -0700
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Security through obscurity? (was: ssh + compiled-in SKEY support considered harmful?)

[CC list trimmed]

If memory serves me right, "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" wrote:

> 2.  Document these things very well.  Both this ssh change and the X
>     without TCP change are confusing.  If three core team members were
>     surprised, it's going to surprise the end user a whole lot more.

The SSH change happened before 4.5-RELEASE, but wasn't documented.  I
admit to having been totally unaware of this change at the time.

green and I made several attempts at an item for the errata, which,
while not perfect, does give some workarounds for the problem, including
almost every one mentioned in this thread.  So far, it looks like
precious few people on this thread actually read it.  :-(

>     We should at least have had a HEADS UP,

Having run into the SSH change myself, I agree.  I haven't bumped into
the "X without TCP" change.

> and we probably need a
>     security policy document with the distributions.

Hmmm.  Still trying to wrap my mind around this concept, but I'm
worried that people won't read *that* document either.  In any case,
someone needs to maintain it to make sure it doesn't get stale.

Cheers,

Bruce.