Date:      Thu, 20 Jan 2000 12:16:19 -0600 (CST)
From:      Gene Harris <zeus@tetronsoftware.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Connecting to a different Xclient

I am not sure of my terminology for X-Windows, so I'll ask
this question as best I can:

I have a Linux RH 6.1 Workstation and a FreeBSD 3.4S Server
on my local network.  Both are running XFree86 3.3.X almost
full time.

Is it possible to open an Xterm window on my FreeBSD box
that connects to the Linux XFree server?  The reason I am
asking this question is that I was blocking access to the
ports at 6000+ on my firewall and I wondered how an
application like xterm could connect to a remote machine
thru these ports.

I have performed a half-baked scan of the documentation and
found a few references, but absolutely no details for
cook-booking the task.  Any pointers would be greatly
appreciated.

(I am also playing with tcp wrappers, so please respond thru
the mailing list as I have unknown servers blocked while I
build my hosts.allow file.)

Many Thanks,