Date:      Wed, 26 Apr 2000 23:46:36 -0400
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        Alexander Werner Skwar <askwar@DigitalProjects.com>
Cc:        Lanny Baron <lnb@freebsdsystems.com>, Janis <janisd@optonline.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cant get a Hostname

On Wed, Apr 26, 2000 at 06:27:45PM +0200, Alexander Werner Skwar wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 25, 2000 at 01:32:46AM -0400, Lanny Baron wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I forgot to ask, are you on the @home.com network? But one person that answered
> > you is also correct in checking your /etc/hosts and make sure you have your
> > network stuff there. For example in my /etc/hosts this box is:
> >
> > 127.0.0.1               localhost.freebsdsystems.com localhost
> > 24.69.168.6             satan.freebsdsystems.com satan
> > 24.69.168.6             satan.freebsdsystems.com.
> >
> > And in /etc/resolv.conf:
> >
> > domain  freebsdsystems.com
> > nameserver      127.0.0.1
> > nameserver      216.126.88.51
> > nameserver      216.126.95.33
>
> Hmm?  Isn't that a little bit to much in /etc/hosts?  Either the 2nd or
> the 3rd line is repetitve; if you have satan.freebsdsystems.com satan in
> there, that translates to:
>
> satan.freebsdsystems.com.satan.freebsdsystems.com and
> satan.freebsdsystems.com
>
> the 3rd line just says satan.freebsdsystems.com.  Sure, there's nothing
> wrong with mentioning a name multiple times, but you may either take out
> 'satan' or 'satan.freebsdsystems.com.'.  And if there's no
> 'satan.freebsdsystems.com.satan.freebsdsystems.com', you might as well
> remove 'satan.freebsdsystems.com', so that your /etc/hosts file just
> reads:
>
> 127.0.0.1               localhost localhost.
> 24.69.168.6             satan

Errr, um. You need to have a look at hosts(5). This line,

  24.69.168.6             satan.freebsdsystems.com satan

Is correct. From the manpage,

DESCRIPTION
     The hosts file contains information regarding the known hosts on the net-
     work.  For each host a single line should be present with the following
     information:

           Internet address
           official host name
           aliases

     Items are separated by any number of blanks and/or tab characters.

If one were to enter,

    24.69.168.6             satan

The address "satan.freebsdsystems.com" will not resolve using the
hosts file.