Date:      Wed, 30 Jul 1997 11:06:36 +1000
From:      TLiddelow@cybec.com.au (Tim Liddelow)
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pccard and -current; a long way to go. :-(

John Polstra wrote:

> The most recent work I did was to make the kernel compile, boot,
> and run when built as an ELF executable.  That was met with a great
> big collective yawn when I committed it.  All available evidence
> indicates that nobody else gives a tinker's damn about FreeBSD-ELF
> except as something fun to argue about passionately.  (The people
> working on the alpha port are probably going to care about it some
> day, whenever they get around to that part.)  I'm not complaining,
> but I'm also not feeling encouraged to expend any more effort on
> it.

Well that's a shame John; you may remember my enthusiasm a few years
back regarding your efforts and I still feel that way.  I just think
that perhaps a little bit of PR is in order - why is ELF a good thing?
(I know, but perhaps other people don't).  What would be the benefits
of moving to ELF ?   Perhaps you've already done this ... I don't
know.  But it is a great effort that you've managed to get both libc
and the kernel moved to ELF - especially if FreeBSD is going to move
to other platforms.

Keep up the good work - it's easy to get discouraged - enthusiasm is
one of the best traits one can have in a project such as this.

Cheers
Tim.