Date:      Wed, 12 Dec 2007 15:12:34 -0800
From:      George Hartzell <hartzell@alerce.com>
To:        Jason Joines <joines@okstate.edu>
Subject:   Re: will freebsd run on apple intel xserve

Jason Joines writes:
 >      I'm a Linux guy who has inherited some apple xserve boxes.
 > Surprisingly I've discovered that I really hate os x.  For the intel
 > xserve boxes, Linux isn't an option.  The CPUs are amd64 architecture.
 > The EFI capable Linux bootloader, has had beta support for amd64 since
 > July.  However, the Linux kernel just got support to boot via EFI and
 > amd64 in a release candidate patch this month.  It'll probably be quite
 > a while before a distribution has an installer with what I need.
 >
 >      At any rate, I've always wanted to try one of the BSDs.  Will
 > FreeBSD install on an apple intel xserve?  If not does anyone know if
 > another BSD or some other open source NIX will work?

I can't give you a direct answer, but I was running 6-STABLE on an
8-way mac pro up until a couple of weeks ago (I had to give it back to
it's owners and I'm waiting until after the next wwdc to buy my
own...).

I used bootcamp to partition a spare disk, then just booted from a
freebsd cd and installed onto that partition.  I ended up using refit
as a boot doohickey (initially from an refit cd, eventually taking a
chance on installing it onto the disk itself).

There wasn't anything too surprising.

g.