Date:      Mon, 23 Dec 1996 12:58:00 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        davisson@handset.laa.com (Leslie Davisson)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: customizing the kernel

In a previous message, Leslie Davisson said:
> Hello,
>
> I recently customized my kernel for my i386 box using Section 5 of
> the FreeBSD handbook.  My kernel compiled and booted the machine.
> However, none of my network functionality was present.  ed1 is the
> device that my network card is talking to so I left ed1 uncommented
> and ed0 uncommented just because.  The ed1 registers itself during
> boot displaying its flags and ethernet address, etc.  But, when the
> routing daemon goes to start, ed1 times out and therefore I don't
> have a default router, nameserver, etc.  I can't ping anyone either.
>  So, is there something I commented out that I shouldn't have?  I
> sure can't tell.  I verified the stuff that I do have commented out
> with the devices shown in section 5 and am at a loss.  Please let me
> know what I can do.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Leslie Davisson
> davisson@laa.com
> Lynn-Arthur Associates, Inc.
>
> P.S.  My machine's networking was working just fine using the
> Generic kernel so it's not a question of other things being wrong.
> It's definitely something I did to this new kernel.   Below is a
> copy of my customized kernel.

There were a lot of things that were in this kernel that I didn't understand.
If you were really on a 386, I'd doubt that you had PCI. But that's neither
here nor there.

However, the to ethernet ports look wrong to me. They only differ by the
port. The IRQ and I/O mem are conflicting. That might be causing timeouts.

A good way to check it, go into the kernel configuration (-c at boot) and
disable the ed0.