Date:      Thu, 23 Mar 2006 08:27:00 -0500
From:      Nathan Vidican <nvidican@wmptl.com>
To:        Steve Camp <steve@camp.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: favorite ATA/SATA hard disk brand?

Steve Camp wrote:
> What brand / make / model ATA / SATA hard disks do you prefer?
>
> I am looking to purchase some SATA disks in the 160 - 300GB size.
> I got a good deal (I think) on a Samsung OEM 250GB disk for $95 at my
> local MicroCenter, but read on the web a few days later one gamer /
> system builder / geeks-on-call type that he had *4* Samsung OEM disks
> all die on him.  So he swore off Samsung.
>
> So whom do you like / recommend?
>
> I'm currently organizing a list in my mind that looks something like:
>
>     #1 Seagate Barracuda SATA disks
>     #2 Hitachi Deskstar (formerly IBM)
>     #3 Fujitsu (models not known)
>     #4,5,6 Maxtor, Samsung, Western Digital
>
> Intended use is for a server (NFS, maybe SAMBA) in a RAID-1 (mirrored)
> configuration.  I am thinking of using an ASUS A8V, A8V-E SE, or one
> of the A8N Nvidia Nforce4 motherboards.  OSes to include:  FreeBSD,
> Linux, Winbloze (maybe).
>
> Your experiences, expertise, recommendations are most welcome.
>
> --
> Steve Camp
> steve@camp.com

Hands down, WD or Maxtor for S-ATA drives. Have had problems with S-ATA drives
made by Seagate, and frankly - just don't trust them. Be careful if using RAID
arrays though, Western Digital in particular because there are different drive
models/firmware if using RAID or not (changes the error-correction algorithm).

Performance wise - WD's Raptor series, or (in larger capacities, ie 250/320gb
s-ata) 'SD'-model'd drives (RAID edition) have been great for us. I've got at
least 30 servers running WD drives in RAID arrays.

--
Nathan Vidican
nvidican@wmptl.com