Date:      Sat, 13 Sep 1997 00:27:41 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        julian@whistle.com (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Do *you* have problems with floppies?

> "I tried to boot the boot floppy but got:
> READ ERROR D=0 H=0 C=0 S=1"
>
> should not be included in the list of FreeBSD problems..

Agreed.

BTW, that particular error will occur, I believe, if you use RAWRITE.EXE
in a DOS window under Windows 95/NT, and do not first "shutdown to a
real mode DOS prompt".  I believe the problem is the "antivirus"
protection from writing the boot sector, and the TSD miniport taking
control of the boot sector region on the disk.  Typically, it fails
to write that area of the disk.  Silently.

If someone is interested in doing something about this, they should
do an install check for Windows 95/NT, and then assert a level 3
volume lock, followed by a level 0 volume lock, after which they
should be able to write track 0.

If you aren't interested, it's possible that you can use the DOS
command line "lock" command to assert volume locks on drive A: (or B:)
to get the same effect.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---