Date:      Tue, 10 Sep 2002 18:50:13 +0100
From:      Dominic Marks <dominic_marks@btinternet.com>
To:        hackers@d.sparks.net
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dell 2650 SMP perf question

On Tue, Sep 10, 2002 at 01:30:23PM -0400, hackers@d.sparks.net wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Sep 2002, Dominic Marks wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Sep 10, 2002 at 01:16:40PM -0400, hackers@d.sparks.net wrote:
> > > Hi All;
> > >
> > > Hyperthreading is turned off, I believe.  There aren't any
> > > "hyperthreading" swithes in the bios I could find, but the "logical
> > > processor" option is turned off.
> > >

> > > Clues why SMP is so much slower very welcome indeed.
> >
> > I believe at some point in the not too distant past their have been many
> > performance problems for people using MySQL on FreeBSD. These problems
> > where mostly related to MySQL's use of threads, I don't know if these
> > problems have been fully resolved but it could be that SMP is
> > aggrevating this. Watching what MySQL is doing with a trace might show
> > some interesting results.
>
> Threads, mysql, and FreeBSD have been an unsocial group for a while, and
> running two processes that access the same tables does seem to slow things
> down a lot.  Tracing it might show something of interest to someone, and
> I'm happy to do it if it will help.  I wouldn't have a clue what I was
> looking at, and couldn't fix it if I did.
>
> > I suppose you're running the lastest version of MySQL ?
>
> I've tried 4.03b, 4.02a, and 3.23.x, all show similar results:(
>
> Thanks,
>
> --- David

My very small pool of knowledge about MySQL+FreeBSD is now exhausted.

It's not answering the question to ask if you see any better or worse
results with different software. But you might like to try with another
Database (Postgres ?) to see if the poor performance on SMP appears with
it too.

Good Luck,
--
Dominic Marks