Date:      Sat, 9 Nov 1996 19:48:19 +0100 (MET)
From:      Guido van Rooij <guido@gvr.win.tue.nl>
To:        100120.3121@CompuServe.COM (Berend de Boer)
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Intel Atlantis board problems

> OK, next we installed on the first drive. Installation went ok.
>
> Now if you try to boot you get the ':' prompt. If you press Enter it reboots. If
> you type wd(0,a)/kernel it boots fine.
>
> Luckily we have the source (and some spare time). Here some info printed by the
> openrd function in sys.c:
>
> If you press Enter after the ':' prompt you get:
>
> 	dosdev=3b, biosdrive=59, unit=59, maj=2
>
> (and the system reboots spontanuously)
>
> If you enter 'wd(0,a)/kernel' it says:
>
> 	dosdev=80, biosdrive=0, unit=0, maj=0
>
> (and boots fine)

This looks like a similar problem I found. Try to edit
        /sys/i386/boot/biosboot/boot.c
Look for this line: for(ret = 0; ret < N_BIOS_GEOM; ret ++)
Replace N_BIOS_GEOM by 3 (which is the number of devices you have
on you hd controllers).
Then type
        make
        make install
        cd /usr/mdec
        disklabel -B wd0

If I'm correct, this would solve the fact that FreeBSD does not
automatically boots from wd(0,a)/kernel.

Could you report back to this list if this fixes it?

-Guido