Date:      Mon, 3 Mar 1997 06:54:31 -0600
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI setup help !!!

At 4:23 AM -0600 3/3/97, J Wunsch wrote:

>Keep Win95 or other poisoned systems away.

Don't worry. This is a "Microsoft Free Zone". :-)
I don't even have a copy of "DOS" to run setup
on those sh*^^y pc interface cards.

>> Everything seemed fine. It ask if I wanted to leave something to stay
>> compatible. I said "yes".

>That's been your problem. :)  No no, rather that you've got the geometry
>wrong.

Don't blame ME! I wasn't ask anything about "geometry." I suspect that
the problem has to do with the false assumptions used for these generic
allocations.

>The only help short of a reinstall is to hand-tweak ...

OK. I'll "buy" a reinstall. I can move the good data off of another disk
and change the SCSI address when I get finished.

Here's what I think I want. What do you suggest for details.
1) At least 3 HD will start with a small (30M-40M) bootable root partition.
2) Every disk will support some swap (say 60M == I'll go to mfs /tmp)
3) Each disk will have a moderate partition for /usr, part of /home, or similar
4) Each disk will have a large partition (To be combined into a huge ccd
partition later) for /pub

I would prefer to set it up in sysinstall, but will drop back to the
"strange incantations" if necessary.

Please "hold my hand" a bit. I need a system that can reboot itself
without pressing the keyboard at just the right instant while booting from
a floppy.

Thanks in advance,

Richard

BTW. The drives are Seagate ST12550N. I damn hot 2G drive. (Especially with
the cover off the box.. ouch)

An old label I manually generated "before" the new-fangled way of doing
geometry.

shrimp: {194} disklabel sd2a
# /dev/rsd2a:
type: SCSI
disk: sd2s1
label: Dataplex Archive
flags:
bytes/sector: 512
sectors/track: 81
tracks/cylinder: 19
sectors/cylinder: 1539
cylinders: 2714
sectors/unit: 4178304
rpm: 7200

The label generated by sysinstall (and friends)

shrimp: {195} disklabel sd0a
# /dev/rsd0a:
type: SCSI
disk: sd0s1
label:
flags:
bytes/sector: 512
sectors/track: 17
tracks/cylinder: 19
sectors/cylinder: 323
cylinders: 252
sectors/unit: 81702
rpm: 3600
interleave: 1
trackskew: 0
cylinderskew: 0
headswitch: 0           # milliseconds
track-to-track seek: 0  # milliseconds
drivedata: 0

8 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
  a:    81702        0    4.2BSD        0     0     0   # (Cyl.    0 - 252*)
  c:    81702        0    unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 - 252*)