Date:      Wed, 23 Sep 1998 00:44:19 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Pierre.Dampure@barclayscapital.com
Cc:        fn@radio-do.de, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Weired top display at smp current kernel from today

Pierre.Dampure@barclayscapital.com wrote:

> Frank,
>
> Are you by any chance running an ELF version of X? I experienced pretty
> weird results over the past few days with and ELF X (built as per the port
> mods posted to the list): a make world running under X would basically bring
> the box to a halt, massive delays when typing characters on any of the other
> VTs, etc... this is on a box with 384Mb RAM, SMP w/PPro 200/512 and more
> than 256Mb free / no swap used, doing nothing else than the build.

Two things..

1: There have been some clock tweaks in the last few days that might
affect this.

2: Try (humor me :-) booting up into single user, running a few commands
(eg: sync; sync; sync; fsck -p; ls) and then doing a ctrl-D to go into
multi-user.

If this (#2) is the key to making your system work properly, then you are
seeing the same problem I've been unable to put a finger on for ages.
None of the other SMP folks saw it, but only I was running ELF at the time.

Somebody else (John Hay) mentioned that this fixes his problem, but it's
not clear whether (or when) he's using elf.

The annoying thing was that it appeared to be the combination of ELF
executables and SMP that caused the problem.  Also, having init spawn 12
/usr/libexec/getty processes would kill the system too.

I had decided that it was something peculiar with my system that was
causing this.  If other people are seeing it now, I'll be greatly relieved
to know that I wasn't imagining it. :-)  (and also worried, because this
is a show-stopper)

Cheers,
-Peter