Date:      Wed, 19 Jul 2000 23:16:43 -0400
From:      Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
To:        Generic Player <generic@unitedtamers.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The death of my machine.

> Generic Player wrote:
>
> Ok, here is a good one for you.  I switched motherboards, from a board
> based on a VIA chipset to an ASUS board based on an ALi chipset.  At
> first after booting up, everything was fine.  Then, the next day, just
> all of a sudden, I couldn't telnet or ftp into the machine.  I
> rebooted it, and sendmail wouldn't start, and I still couldn't ftp or
> telnet into it, or access anything by its DNS name, although I could
> still ping stuff by its IP, apache still started though.  I figured
> maybe I needed a re-install what with changing the mobo and all, so I
> re-installed, re-formatting during the install.  But, even after the
> fresh install, the same problem still existed.  Any ideas what this
> could be?  Its FreeBSD 4.0-release, a k-6 300MHz with 128 MB of RAM on
> an ASUS P5A-B motherboard now.
>
> Thanks
> Generic Player

Take a look at your /etc/services file. I recently installed 3.4
on an HP Netserver and things were generally screwy... no nameservice
and no telnet. My /etc/services file was really munged, with crazy
port numbers and nameserver entries showing in /etc/services, which
is not where they go. I've installed at least 20 systems with no
problems, but not that time. The only thing that was different was
the hardware and the fact that I installed the full gnome and kde
packages. Perhaps some package is writing over the /etc files.
Also look at /etc/resolv.conf.

--
Jim Durham