Date:      Fri, 15 Jan 1999 20:46:23 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        Boris Staeblow <balu@dva.in-berlin.de>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CTM <> CVSUP differences

On Fri, 15 Jan 1999, Boris Staeblow wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm using ctm-cvs for synchronizing my CVS-Tree.
> But sometimes I get MD5 checksum errors when apllying the ctm's.
> To resynchronize my ctm's with the CVS-Tree i have to use cvsup at
> ctm.freebsd.org with the option "strictrcs". Many files have to
> be retransmitted and many fixup's appear.
>
> Is it possible that there are slight differences between the
> CTM's and the "real world" ?
>
> Is CTM a little neglient when the diffs are generated?

CTM is remarkably stable.  In running it 3 years (I stopped about 4
months ago when my net connection improved) I had only 1 stoppage, a
well known one caused by someone messing witht he archive.

If you're getting problems like this on a regular basis, then you
*really* ought to either consider your environment.  Are you using any
other tool besides ctm to touch your cvs archive?  Are you doing commits
locally?  CTM won't allow anything but ctm alone to modify the tree, no
exceptions whatsoever.

In terms of convenience, cvsup is supreme, but in terms of stability,
Poul's baby here is the champ, so you have to really consider other
places of corruption first.

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (NetBSD).