Date:      Wed, 7 Feb 2001 12:36:43 -0500
From:      Jim Mock <mij@osdn.com>
To:        ttownsend@woodstock.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: root login

On Wed, 07 Feb 2001 at 08:36:14 -0800, ttownsend@woodstock.com wrote:
> I am having problems with the root account. I had previously logged
> in with root but after i installed the ports directory i have not been
> able to logon with the account. Message appears: login:
> /usr/local/bin/bash: No such file or directory

You either a) changed root's shell to bash without it being installed,
or b) changed root's shell to bash previously, and then removed the bash
port.

There are a few ways around this, with the easiest being to reboot into
single-user mode, and change root's shell.

- jim

--
jim mock <mij@osdn.com>     O|S|D|N      open source development network
http://soupnazi.org/                  http://osdn.com/ | jim@FreeBSD.org