Date:      Fri, 13 Mar 1998 13:12:08 +1100
From:      Sue Blake <sue2@welearn.com.au>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        anthony@sohopros.com, FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: xinit with non root login?

On Fri, Mar 13, 1998 at 12:21:34PM +1030, Greg Lehey wrote:

> > Greg, I think my problem is a path problem.  When I execute
> > xinit I get this message:
> >
> > #xinit
> > xinit: not found
> >
> > Could you help me set the correct path?  I'm also not sure
> > where the path goes.  I have your book but I'm unable to
> > find out exactly what I need to set to make this work.
>
> Depends on the shell you're running.  For sh, bash, ksh, zsh, put
> something like this in your .profile file:
>
>   PATH=$PATH:/usr/X11R6/bin
>
> I'll leave somebody else (Doug, are you listening?) to tell you the
> syntax for csh and tcsh.

My .profile (and /usr/share/skel/dot.profile) in FreeBSD 2.2.2 has these two
lines:

# add /usr/games or /usr/X11R6/bin if you want
PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:$HOME/bin; export PATH

It took an lot of painful searching to work out why my X wasn't working
after the upgrade. The path in /usr/share/skel/dot.login does not appear to
have had games and X consored in this way, but I find it a handy reference
for the different syntax when stuck with csh.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-

find / -name "*.conf" |more