Date:      Wed, 31 Jul 1996 10:06:59 +1200 (NZST)
From:      Wayne Knowles <wdk@frc.niwa.cri.nz>
To:        James Raynard <fcurrent@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can't boot new kernel

> Nope, I couldn't get a generic kernel to work either.  I ended up
> re-installing 2.1.0 (ab)using the 'upgrade' option.  Now I'm trying
> to upgrade back to -current, but I get
>

> The problem is that <ctype.h> references a type (_BSD_CT_RUNE_T_) that
> is not defined anywhere in my source tree.  In desperation, I tried
> #defining it to _BSD_RUNE_T_, but cc doesn't seem able to pick up the
> definition from <runetypes.h>, for some reason.

With a current build tree /usr/include/sys is a symbolic link to
the sys/sys directory of your -current tree.  The 2.1 install would have
downgraded your -current header files to 2.1  Hopefully re-supping the
src-sys tree will bring it back.

Also, I spent a bit of time working out why I had kernels that froze at
the "waiting for SCSI devices to settle" phase.  The diffs between the 2
build directories showed me that aic7xxx_seq.h was very different.
Looking further I noticed:

zl2bkc 1% make depend
[ Compile stuff for genassym deleted - it all went OK ]
./genassym >assym.s
rm -f param.c
cp ../../conf/param.c .
sh ../../kern/vnode_if.sh ../../kern/vnode_if.src
cc -Wall -o aic7xxx_asm ../../dev/aic7xxx/aic7xxx_asm.c
./aic7xxx_asm -o aic7xxx_seq.h ../../dev/aic7xxx/aic7xxx.seq
0 out of 448 instructions used.

^^ Problem - The sequencer script for the Adaptec 2940 (hope I am using the
right terminology) did not compile, and when the kernel went to reset the
SCSI bus, the 2940 did not have any code to run!

I haven't had time to work out why aic7xxx_asm failed to build the
sequencer code (the source files were correct), and it doesn't seem to be
related to the VM Code bugs that recently crept into the kernel.  I will
try and get to the bottom of it over the next few days.

It does hilight a problem:  aic7xxx_asm should have returned an exit
code causing make to stop

Comments??

--
  _____    Wayne Knowles                 Title : Systems Manager