Date:      Thu, 31 Aug 2000 17:10:52 +0300
From:      Alexey Zelkin <phantom@cris.crimea.ua>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com>
Cc:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NO vs NO_

hi,

On Wed, Aug 30, 2000 at 12:49:33PM -0400, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:

> I think it is mandatory for -stable and we probably should do it for
> -current as well. In -current, the automagical translation can be
> removed some time prior to the release.
>
> The reason for this is simply habit. Give people a change to get used to
> the new names, how ever they are going to look like.

As I already noted in this thread IMHO it will be useful to introduce
variable which defining should force "automagical translation". Default
behaviour just will cause build failure. In this case we can leave
this variable uncommented (defined) for -STABLE and commented (undefined)
for -CURRENT.

It also can be useful to put this check to separate file (for example
bsd.deprecated.mk) in /usr/share/mk and include to all /usr/share/mk/*mk
file which contains any references to NO* variables. It will allow us
to check depracated variables usage in any src's Makefile.

PS: Anyone working in this area ? I don't want to duplicate efforts since
I don't have to much spare time, but currently I can dig in this problem.

--
/* Alexey Zelkin               && phantom@cris.net       */
/* Tavric National University  && phantom@FreeBSD.org    */