Date:      Wed, 25 Oct 2000 14:01:51 -0500
From:      John Krueger <jkrueger@atipa.com>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   FreeBSD NIS client / Linux NIS server

Hello,

I'm running into some issues trying to put a 4.1.1-release box up on our
network.  We do all authentication through NIS running on a Debian
GNU/Linux 2.2 server.  I have set NIS up correctly from what I can tell,
adding to rc.conf, master.passwd, and group.  ypbind will bind to the
NIS domain, ypwhich will give me the correct master server response,
ypwhich -x shows all the right maps (AFAICT).

I can log into local users on the box, and can login as root and su - to
NIS-mapped users, but from a vc login prompt, all I get is a simple
"Login incorrect".

The best idea I can come up with at this point is that I'm running into
some kind of libcrypt compatibility issues, though I've tried, without
avail, both DES and MD5 crypt schemes.

Any thoughts, comments, or suggestions would be rather helpful and
appreciated at this point,

Thanks,
--
John Krueger