Date:      06 Nov 2001 13:42:19 -0800
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Request for opinions: what is spam

Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com> writes:

> Gary W. Swearingen wrote:

> at work. Cold-calls don't bring up the same ethical question as spam,
> but they still "annoy people" and does that make them right/wrong or
> are they even effective?

I've heard of cold-calling for thirty years without hearing them
considered unethical.  Annoying, yes, but just business as usual.  Their
difficulty and inefficiency keeps them to a tolerable level.

As for spaming people who have asked questions, I WOULD be annoyed and
consider it smap unless your promotion was attached to some info of
value (in which case list-posting is OK in my book too, if the promotion
is discrete) or your expertise related to my problem was something I
couldn't get from many other FreeBSD consultants.  If I want a
consultant, I'll look for FreeBSD consultant web sites or ask for one.

> "freebsd-jobs  FreeBSD employment and consulting opportunities."

I see your point now; I hadn't considered your business.  You're seeking
an employer in some sense.  Maybe that's accepted, even encouraged, on
that list; I don't know.  People probably wouldn't care unless dozens of
FreeBSD consultants were posting per day.  It doesn't seem kosher to me,
but I also don't care much.

> Which is all I could find on the web site concerning that list.  Perhaps
> that charter should be better defined.  If I could make the mistake, so
> could anyone.

I see that the list has no charter entry at all in
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/eresources.html

You could propose a suggested charter (to suit youself) and see if many
people on that list have a problem with it.  If not, submit a handbook
PR for it.  (Consider it payment for services rendered.)  Preferably
include a patch, but just some text is OK, or you could even just mail
it to freebsd-doc@freebsd.org and someone will probably do the grunt
work for you.