Date:      Fri, 9 Apr 1999 11:42:32 -0500
From:      "Richard Seaman, Jr." <dick@tar.com>
To:        Jeremy Lea <reg@shale.csir.co.za>
Cc:        Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>, dick@tar.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cc -pthread and -kthread switches

On Fri, Apr 09, 1999 at 04:12:03PM +0200, Jeremy Lea wrote:

> I've spoken about this before, but I'll throw my ideas in again.

[snip]

> I still feel that Richard's LinuxThreads port belongs in the base system
> and not in Ports.  I looked at it, and it shouldn't be to difficult to
> 'contribify'.

Agreed.  The only issue is that I've heard a number of people argue
against this.  That's why its been structured as a port.

> If you haven't looked, the poor port has to go rumaging
> around in /usr/src to find half of it's source files.  This is a reciepe
> for disaster.

I agree its an ugly port.

> Maybe the Linux threads should go straight to -lthread or -xthread, with
> library names 'liblthread' and headers in /usr/include/pthread/lthread'.
> That leaves 'kthread' open.  -xthread sounds like something which is
> going to leave soon...

The library names currently are liblthread, and libpthread is installed
as a soft link to liblthread, provided libpthread doesn't already exist.

--
Richard Seaman, Jr.           email: dick@tar.com
5182 N. Maple Lane            phone: 414-367-5450