Date:      Fri, 7 Sep 2001 12:21:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Fuyuhiko Maruyama <fuyuhik8@is.titech.ac.jp>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ports/30421: (I18N)Open Motif causes Segmentation Fault in some rare condition.

>Number:         30421
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       (I18N)Open Motif causes Segmentation Fault in some rare condition.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
This is a I18N (especially XIM handling) related problem and may not
appear for languages not need XIM server to input text.

Open Motif has it's own codes of XIM handling for widget which allow
user to input text.  For languages which need special handling of XIM server, e.g. Chinese, Japanese and Korean, Open Motif works quite well.
But there is some rare conditions which confuses Open Motif and let it
cause Segmentation Fault.  The widget currently focused is disposed is one such condition.
>How-To-Repeat:
install /usr/ports/x11-toolkits/open-motif
then install /usr/ports/java/jdk13.
Installing /usr/ports/java/jdk13 directly isn't enough because jdk13 ports uses binary version of Motif (/usr/ports/x11-toolkits/open-motif-devel).

I think open-motif-devel also has the same problem but I'm not sure because I cannot debug jdk13 with binary version of Motif.

How to repeat the problem may not be easy for non CJK environment because it need to setup CJK environment.  So I don't write how to setup CJK env here.
To reproduce the problem on Japanese environment, it is simple.
$ setenv LANG ja_JP.EUC
$ kinput2 &
$ cd /usr/local/jdk1.3.1/demo/applets/ArcTest
$ ../../../bin/appletviewer example1.html

>Fix:
I made a patch for OpenMotif to fix the problem.
Placing the patch file into /usr/ports/open-motif/files fix the problem.
The patch file is at:
http://matsu-www.is.titech.ac.jp/~maruyama/patch-XmIm.c