Date:      Wed, 20 Apr 2016 14:48:37 +0000
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   gtk30 fails to follow packaging guidelines?

Well, I just saw all my Rust binaries that use gtk break. Being for rust,
they're sticklers for safety issues, and their code depends on some of
gtk's debugging features.  Their solution to how to deal with such
libraries was to note the packaging guidelines at (
https://developer.gnome.org/glib/stable/glib-building.html#extra-configuration-options
):

--enable-debug.  Turns on various amounts of debugging support. Setting
this to 'no' disables g_assert(), g_return_if_fail(),
g_return_val_if_fail() and all cast checks between different object types.
Setting it to 'minimum' disables only cast checks. Setting it to 'yes'
enables runtime debugging. The default is 'minimum'. Note that 'no' is
fast, but dangerous as it tends to destabilize even mostly bug-free
software by changing the effect of many bugs from simple warnings into
fatal crashes. Thus --enable-debug=no should not be used for stable
releases of GLib.

So at this time, the development version of these wrappers panic's on
freebsd with the following message:

Running `/export/mwm/src/chiselapp/order_chaos/target/debug/gtk`
thread '<main>' panicked at 'libgtk-3 was configured with
`--enable-debug=no`. See https://github.com/gtk-rs/gtk/issues/270 for
details',

So, is there a reason that we're apparently using --disable-debug for
libgtk in spite of this warning? If not, any chance of getting that flag
turned off?