Date:      Sat, 6 Jul 2002 15:29:52 +0300
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Paul Richards <paul@freebsd-services.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Removing perl in make world

--lkTb+7nhmha7W+c3

On Fri, Jul 05, 2002 at 10:45:41AM +0100, Paul Richards wrote:
> I think we should add a target to make world that checks for the
> existence of an old base install of Perl and removes it if it exists.
>=20
> As a general principle, if we do things like remove code during -current
> development then make world needs to cater for that change. The idea of
> make world is that what you get at the end of it is a pristine install
> of a snapshot of FreeBSD from the current branch.
>=20
> The bootstrap target was originally added for this purpose, to deal with
> issues during releases i.e. to bootstrap from one version of current to
> another. It's got misunderstood along the way to mean bootstrapping
> tools needed early in the build process.
>=20
> I'd like to resurrect it's original meaning and add code to clean out
> old versions of Perl.
>=20
I strongly object to this unless we clearly define the procedure of
deleting the old stuff like libraries, headers, programs, etc.
I routinely do the cleanup by installing the world into a separate
DESTDIR, and comparing it with what is available under /.  I don't
see a major problem with this except maybe a space.  Another approarch
is to compare the modification times with the current date; this
works almost ok for all things except headers and (now) static
libraries plus some miscellaneous stuff that is getting installed
with -C.

Cheers,
--=20
Ruslan Ermilov		Sysadmin and DBA,