Date:      Sun, 15 Jul 2001 16:23:26 -0500
From:      seebs@plethora.net (Peter Seebach)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   CD-ROM compatability

I have some machines with 52x "creative labs" CD-ROM drives.

They don't install very well.  I get, at random points in any given install,
failures to install various sets of files.  Generally, the failure takes the
form of a stream of checksum messages spewing on the second console, with
cpio skipping things for a while until it finds something it likes.

However... these same computers install, with no errors, as often as I care
to try with any other OS I have handy (NetBSD and BSD/OS, mostly).  Is this
possibly a software thing?  If so, more importantly, *is there a workaround*?
I don't relish the thought of buying CD-ROM drives at random until one of
them happens to work.

If it matters, these are ServerWorks boards; SuperMicro 370DE6.  I am
suspicious that their IDE controller may have different DMA quirks than VIA
and Intel boards do.

I have three machines like this, and they have *identical* failures, on all
three, so I don't think it's the specific drives.  It could be that all
Creative Labs 52x drives have this problem but, as noted, they work fine for
everyone else.

-s