Date:      Thu, 09 Nov 2000 10:52:25 +0800
From:      John Summerfield <summer@OS2.ami.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: roter or proxy

> Hello,
>

> I am thinking about setting up, either a router or a proxy. Here's the
> scenario:
>
> There are several computer labs (school network) and all computers are
> configured to get the needed information from a dhcp-server. Now, I need to s
> et
> up a gateway (with a cable-modem), thru which all machines should go
> online.
>
> My first idea was to set up a transperant proxy (using ipfw). That would
> make the administration pretty easy for me. The other idea, that came up my
> mind, was to create a standard-router (using routed, etc.).
>
> Now, my questions are:
>
> Which of these solutions would you recommend?

A router just passes the traffic.

Set up a cache with squid; it will save accessed web documents for reuse by
others.

Consider carefully what traffic (if any) to pass; playing Quake might be fun,
but it's probably not educational.

If you want to provide a mail service, set that up on the 'BSD box too, and
have it relay outgoing mail.